We invite you to explore a future with us at Nauticus, where engaging and interactive experiences celebrate our connections with today's maritime world. Nauticus is a contemporary museum that uses the natural setting of Norfolk's harbor to showcase global maritime commerce and the world's largest Navy. Nauticus is uniquely positioned on the campus of the downtown Norfolk waterfront, which also includes the Battleship Wisconsin, Sail Nauticus, and the Half Moone Cruise & Celebration Center.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Answering phone calls and emails, maintaining the online database, webpage and personnel files.
- Assist in the recruitment of volunteers through oral and written communications, social media, job fairs, festivals, community and civic events, local schools and colleges.
- May present specialized programs and provide information to the general public about specific exhibits.
- Ability to work with diverse audiences.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time, lift from ground to above shoulder, climb, bend, stoop, push, pull, utilize radio communications and perform tasks requiring dexterity.
At least six (6) months of clerical and customer service experience required.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Two years of College or University study in Business Administration, Psychology, Public Relations or a related field.
- Some experience and knowledge of effective public relations techniques.
- Outstanding clerical, collaboration and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in communication and time management.
- Attention to detail and organization skills.
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application. Your responses to the supplemental questions will be reviewed and verified with the information you provided in the body of your application.
- To check the status of your application, refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing "See resume" with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.
Work Hours: A flexible 20 hour work week; may include holiday, weekend and evening hours.
Work Location: Nauticus, One Waterside Drive, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Regular full-time and permanent part-time employees may receive paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, employer paid pension plan, basic life insurance and tuition assistance, voluntary participation in medical and dental, Section 457 deferred compensation, long-term disability, optional life insurance for self, spouse and children, medical and dependent care reimbursement plans, access to membership in credit union and employer provided parking.
- Special project/grant employees are generally eligible for the same benefits of regular full-time employees; however,retirement, life insurance and participation in health plans vary depending upon funding and authorization.
- Temporary/seasonal and part-time employees are generally only eligible for employer provided parking and access to membership in credit union.
If you are hired October 5, 2010 or after to a position with City of Norfolk Retirement System benefits, you will be required to contribute five percent (5%) of your salary toward your retirement benefit. This will be a pre-tax payroll deduction.
The benefits described above are broad generalizations. The specific benefits that an employee may be eligible for are governed by City regulations, as applicable to job type.
Positions listed with a job type designation of "Non-City" are not subject to the benefits descriptions above. Refer to the content of the job posting for information regarding these positions.
- I understand and will answer the following supplemental questions completely and thoroughly.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Some college (at least Junior standing)
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree or higher
- I do not have any experience
- Less than 6 months
- 6 months to 1 year
- 1 to 2 years
- More than 2 years
- Yes, but I only have experience creating spreadsheets
- Yes, but I only have experience creating computerized presentations
- Yes, I have experience in creating both spreadsheets and computerized presentations
- No, I do not have any experience
- Yes - I am a current City of Norfolk Employee
- Yes - I am a previous City of Norfolk Employee
- No - I am not a previous or current City of Norfolk employee
- I am not a Veteran
- I am a Veteran
- I am a Disabled Veteran
* Required Question