Under general supervision, this position regularly performs dispatch/clerical functions, provides instruction and technical direction to Bus Drivers, operates communication systems utilizing radio, telephone, computer equipment and software applications assist Bus Drivers and the public. Also, dispatches personnel and equipment in response to operational needs and to organize and coordinate the activities of the road; maintains records of activities; and performs other related work as required. Supervision is received from the Supervisor, Senior Supervisor or Operations Manager.Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and dispatches all bus operator assignments for revenue service, special events and emergency response.
- Schedule and direct the activities of bus drivers to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Interpret and successfully maneuver traffic pattern flows and potential road hazards.
- Read, interpret, and monitor bus drivers' routes, schedules, and manifests.
- Identify and report equipment malfunctions and safety hazards.
- Verify and monitor vehicle locations.
- Maintain basic records and complete reports.
- Advises bus drivers, through two-way radio system communication, by providing them with instruction and information regarding scheduling, route changes, etc.
- Utilize RouteMatch and Teledriver software.
- Instruct bus drivers on procedures to adjust schedules as needed.
- Answers and responds to all calls and service requests promptly and with courtesy.
- Provides information to the public in a courteous manner regarding demand-response and fixed-route transit services.
- Communicates with supervisors regarding passengers, stops, terminals, employee performance, and provide feedback to the Supervisors, Senior Supervisors, Operations Manager or designee to assist with performance evaluations.
- Identifies and reports operational problems and incidents to supervisors.
- Makes recommendations and proposes solutions to operational issues.
- Maintains lost and found log.
- Assists schedulers and reservationists when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains manual and computerized files, reports, and records including daily operation logs and incident reports.
- Maintains, supports, and promotes a safe work environment while complying with all safety rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to ensure the well being of customers and employees.
- Initiates the emergency notification list.
- Coordinates with local and regional agencies to provide quick response to potential emergency situations.
- May serve as staff representative to Emergency Operations Center in the event of a declared emergency.
- Performs other clerical duties as assigned to maintain operations of department, such as electronic filing.
- Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to graduation from high school or GED and oneyear of experience in transit operations, dispatching, and/or the operation of passenger buses.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record and possession of a valid Class B Commercial Learners Permit with passenger endorsement is required prior to accepting an offer of employment.
- Must obtain a Class B Commercial Drivers License with passenger endorsement within 90 days of hire or employment will end.
- Must be able to pass a Florida Department of Transportation Medical Examination and maintain a current medical card.
- This is a safety sensitive position which is subject to Drug and Alcohol Workplace Testing as provided in DOT regulationCFR-Part40, 49 CFR Part 655.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Experience in transit operations, including dispatch and transit software knowledge preferred.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, stoop, bend, sit for long periods of time, load and unload wheelchair passengers, and secure wheelchairs inside the bus with wheelchair tie downs.
- Ability to utilize and knowledge of two-way radio procedures and codes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of county employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the general public and County personnel.
- Ability to drive aparatransitvan, passenger bus, or trolley.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; operate telephone system, two-way radios, general office equipment.
- Knowledge of Transit system operations, rules and regulations, including bus operation, pre-trip inspection, routes and schedules.
- Knowledge and experience with customer service practices including courtesy to passengers, sensitivity to passengers with disabilities, stop announcements, responding to questions and providing information and direction to customers.
- Knowledge of proper bus safety and maintenance inspections procedures.
- Knowledge of scheduling software preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Arrive on-time and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Days and hours will vary to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
DISCLAIMER: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this classification. All positions are subject to a criminal background check. A conviction in and of itself may not necessarily preclude employment.
Please note: Lee County BoCC's full benefits package only applies to regular Full-time positions and Part-time positions that are regularly scheduled to work 60 hours or more bi-weekly.
Medical benefits may be offered to On-Call, Temporary, Seasonal, and Intern employees who meet the Affordable Care Act eligibility criteria.
Lee County employees eligible to participate in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) are required to contribute 3% of each paycheck to FRS. If you have retired from the Florida Retirement System pension plan or if you have taken a distribution from the FRS investment plan, please be advised that you are not eligible for renewed membership in either of the FRS retirement plan options.
- I understand and agree with the statements above.
- I do not agree with the statements above.
- I possess a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with Passenger Endorsement.
- I possess a Class "B" Commercial Driver's Permit with Passenger Endorsement.
- I do not possess a Class "B" Commercial Driver's Permit with Passenger Endorsement, but I will be able to obtain at time of offer.
- I do not possess a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License or Permit with Passenger Endorsement and am unable to obtain at time of offer.
* Required Question