Under the general supervision of the assigned supervisor, performs technical and statutory work; receives, accounts, and records all property tax payments; conducts detailed research for complicated property tax issues, Manufactured/Mobile Homes; Personal Property; Delinquent Accounts; and condemnation matters. Prepares, reviews, maintains, monitors and collects delinquent accounts and associated detailed collection records. Reconciles Lockbox, ACH, and Cash on a daily basis. Affixes and removes Liens on delinquent Manufactured/Mobile Homes. Assists property taxpayers, county offices and external clients with complex property tax questions, research, information and reports.Minimum Qualifications
High School Diploma/GED Certificate plus two (2) years post-secondary education in business, finance, political science, accounting or related field and (1) one year of general clerical/administrative support experience in the area of real estate, taxation or related field to include direct customer service; basic cash handling and bookkeeping; research and analysis; filing, typing, and business correspondence; and, basic computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook); OR a combination of post-secondary education and/or related experience totaling three (3) years.Other Requirements
- Valid New Mexico driver's license or ability to obtain a valid New Mexico driver's license within 30 days of hire.
- Successful completion of New Mexico Certified Treasury Official Certification within one year of hire.
- Receives, accounts, reconciles, and records high volume property tax payments from individual taxpayers, mortgage companies, and other county departments and makes daily bank deposits. Assists Treasury Controller with large company and large land holders high volume property tax batch payments.
- Research and prepare payment adjustments forms for tax refunds.
- Conducts detailed research on property tax matters for complex taxpayer problems, court cases, imminent domain, county offices, condemnation suits, delinquent accounts, and other research projects. Communicates findings to taxpayers, attorneys, other county offices, external clientele, and prepares report for department administration.
- Monitors manufactured homes on a weekly basis; maintains spreadsheets and affixes and removes Liens on Manufactured/Mobile Homes on NM MVD's database.
- Reviews, maintains, and monitors confidential taxpayer files and documents, i.e., the Lien process on the State of NM Motor Vehicle Department's database contains "personal Information" as defined in NMSA 1978 66-1-4-14(F) and 18 U.S.C. 2725(3) of the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) and "highly restricted personal information" as defined 18 U.S.C. ; 2725(4) of the DPPA.
- Performs collection efforts and calculates interest and penalties for delinquent accounts.
- Research, process, complete, review, and maintain necessary documents/reports and/or tasks for land splits and combines, condemnations, delinquent notices, and State auctions. Participate in State auctions.
- Processes Plat Map tax payments which require research to ensure validity of documentation before Plat Map receives final authorization from the Treasurer. Prepares Plat Map for Treasurer's signature authorizing it to be recorded at the Clerk's Office and property changes to be made in the Assessor's Office.
- Prepares, signs and processes Tax Releases authorizing movement of Manufactured/Mobile homes to another County.
- Processes and records non-sufficient fund payments made to the County; calculates penalty, interest and miscellaneous non-sufficient funds (NSF) fees on accounts, sends notification to taxpayers of non-sufficient fund payments; and re-deposits payments as assigned.
- Reconciles daily deposits and cashier drawers. Scans daily batches.
- Assists with the verification of the County's property Tax Roll.
- Responds to high volume tax roll and tax related questions both orally and in writing.
- Reviews and verifies system entries and information on data processed reports.
- Performs mail courier duties.
- Assists in the training of personnel.
- May travel to various locations throughout the county to locate, identify and photograph properties, homes/structures or manufactured homes. .
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Sandoval County offers benefits to full-time and part-time employees working 20 hours or more a weekincluding: Health Care, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, Life Insurance, Long-Term and Short-Term disability insurance, Holiday pay, Vacation and Sick Leave, Deferred Compensation Plan.
Sandoval County non-union, non-safety positions arepart of the Municipal Plan2. Contributing 16.55% and employees contributing 3.65% to to the Public Employee Retirement Plan. (PERA)
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
* Required Question