What We Offer
The County of Ventura offers an attractive compensation and benefits package. Aside from our base salary range, an employee within this position will also be eligible for the following:
- Educational Incentive- An educational incentive of 2.5% for completion of an associate degree, 3.5% for completion of a bachelor's degree, OR 5% for completion of a graduate degree.
- Annual Leave Redemption- the ability to "cash in" or redeem up to 100 hours of Annual Leave per year. A candidate selected for this position will earn 208 hours per year, increasing to 288 hours after 5 years of service.
- Deferred Compensation- Eligible to participate in the County's 401(k) Shared Savings Plan and/or the Section 457 Plan. This position is eligible for up to a 3% match on your 401(k) contributions.
- Flexible Credit Allowance- This is a bi-weekly amount available to Regular employees for the purpose of purchasing medical, dental, and/or vision insurance from a group of authorized plans. Employees may also participate in the Flexible Spending Accounts which increase their spending power by reimbursing them with pre-tax dollars for IRS approved dependent care and health care expenses.
- Pension Plan- Participation in the County's defined pension plan.
- Bilingual Incentive- This position is eligible for a bilingual incentive depending upon operational need and certification of skill.This may be $.65 per hour (Level I), $.80 per hour (Level II), or $1.10 per hour (Level III).
- Holidays- 10 paid days per year plus a scheduled floating holiday.
The Sustainability Division
The Sustainability Divisionis the program administrator of the Tri-County Regional Energy Network (3C-REN) with the California Public Utility Commission. The 3C-REN offers a variety of programs designed for regional integration and delivery of energy efficiency solutions that pilot innovative ideas and serve the specific needs of the Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo region.
Additionally, the Sustainability Division administers theVentura County Regional Energy Alliance(VCREA), a JPA composed of public agencies working in collaboration to address good energy stewardship and sustainability practices in the region.
The Sustainability Division supports the County's commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and efforts to improve its environmental performance by managing the energy efficiency activities and responsibilities. The Division assists the Ventura County Board of Supervisor's representative to theClean Power Alliance of Southern California? a Community Choice Energy Joint Powers Authority (JPA) that will procure alternative energy supplies to the residents of Ventura County.
Under direction, plans, organizes, and performs a variety of monitoring, evaluation, and reporting activities in support of the Sustainability programs andoutreach; works with stakeholders such as contractors, homeowners, and partner counties to coordinate and monitor various energy-related programs.
The ideal candidate
Will have a Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in business administration, energy management, sustainability, or other related field; knowledge of energy and sustainability programs and the ability to understand and implement energy conservation techniques and methods; andexperience involving program management and administration. This person will also be a team player, a dynamic public speaker,and will demonstrate political acumen when dealing with various stakeholders and representatives.
Payroll Titles and Approximate Bi-weekly Salaries:
Program Administrator I: $2,277.05 - $3,188.18
Program Administrator II: $2,550.50 - $3,571.05
Program Administrator III: $2,670.19 - $3,738.63
Senior Program Administrator $3,000.94 - $4,201.72
Agency/Department: County Executive Office ? Government Affairs, Water, and Energy
Program Administrator I/II/III/Senior is a Management classification and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Incumbents in the ProgramAdministrator I/II/IIIare eligible for benefits at the MB4 level and the Senior Program Administrator is eligible for benefits at the MB3 level.
OPENING DATE:March 13, 2019
CLOSING DATE:Continuous and may close at any time; therefore, the schedule for the remainder of the process will depend upon when we receive a sufficient number of qualified applications to meet business needs.
FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: April 3, 2019 Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manages Regional Energy Network energy efficiency incentive programs including data collection, analysis, and reporting; evaluation of energy efficiency in buildings and infrastructure; benchmarking; participation in utility programs;
- Plans, organizes and administers education and engagement program in workforce education and training outreach programs for contractors, government employees, and businesses including design and development of outreach materials, website design, development and analytics, social media, and newsletters;
- Participates in the development and implementation of program goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and priorities of strategies and work plans;
- Manages and participates in public events and workshops and coordinates participation in other energy efficiency, building, and code enforcement-related events;
- Assists management staff; participates in and provides support to a variety of committees and boards; prepares and presents staff reports and other correspondence as appropriate and necessary;
- Ensures that assigned program activities comply with relevant federal, state, and local laws, policies, and regulations;
- Creates presentations for stakeholders and citizens on new programs, policies, or other sustainability efforts; showcases individuals, businesses, and projects for recognition of leadership in sustainability;
- Maintains and updates web content and design and mailing list communications; and
- Performs other related duties as required.
These are the entrance requirements to the examination process and assure neither continuance in the process nor placement on an eligible list.
Some (I) to considerable (Sr.) program support experience coupled with some (I) to considerable (Senior) experience in the fields related to the assigned program which demonstrates possession of and competency in technical knowledge of the program area.
Any combination of education, training,and experience that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs). Possession of the required KSAs may typically be demonstrated by one of the following combinations of education and experience:
Possession of a Bachelor'sor Master's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, energy management, sustainability, or a closely-related fieldwith full-time experience in local government sustainability, climate change, green building, or a related area with the responsibility for planning, administering, organizing, and coordinating programs
Program Administrator I: One (1)year of recent, paid, and highly related experience
Program Administrator II: Two (2) years of recent, paid, and highly related experience
Program Administrator III: Three (3) years of recent, paid, and highly related experience
Senior Program Administrator: Five (5) years of recent, paid, and highly related experience
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Possess or obtain and maintain a valid California driver license.
- Excellent written communication skills must be demonstrated in the completion of the employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
- Ability to frequently travel out-of-County.
- Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in business administration, energy management, sustainability, or a closely-related field.
- Ability to perform dynamic public speaking and experience with public outreach.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and/or Photoshop.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Working knowledge of:
- energy and sustainability program development and energy technologies;
- principles and practices of program planning, development and administration;
- terminology used in the are of assignment;
- modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and software packages, which may include desktop publishing, spreadsheet, database and energy modeling software applications;
- understand, interpret, and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures as well as pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations;
- understand and implement energy conservation techniques and methods;
- establish effective, courteous working relationships with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds, including management, employees, the public, community partners, and the media;
- organize resources, establish priorities, meet deadlines and objectives, and develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures;
- to operate and use modern technology including computers, tablets, smart mobile devices and various software packages including spreadsheets, databases, information systems, modeling, mapping, emissions, and benchmarking tools.
- in written and oral communications, including public speaking, and effective community engagement.
FINAL FILING DATE: This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time; therefore, apply as soon as possible if you are interested in it. Your application must be received by County of Ventura Human Resources in Ventura, California, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. The schedule for the remainder of the process will depend upon when we receive a sufficient number of qualified applications to meet business needs.
To apply on-line refer to web site: www.ventura.org/jobs. If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials. Our address is: County of Ventura, Human Resources Division, 800 S. Victoria Ave., Loc. # 1970, Ventura, CA 93009. We do not accept resumes in lieu of our application form, nor do we accept any application materials via e-mail.
Note to Applicants: It is essential that you complete all sections of your application and supplemental questionnaire thoroughly and accurately to demonstrate your qualifications. A resume and/or other related documents may be attached to supplement the information in your application and supplemental questionnaire; however, it/they may not be submitted in lieu of the application and supplemental questionnaire.
INFORMATION FOR TRANSFER CANDIDATES
NOTE:If presently permanently employed in another "merit" or "civil service" public agency/entity in the same or substantively similar position as is advertised, and if appointed to that position by successful performance in a "merit" or "civil service" style examination, then appointment by "Lateral Transfer" may be possible. If interested, please clickhere(Download PDF reader)for additional information.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE ? qualifying:All applicants are required to complete and submit the questionnaire for this examination at the time of filing. The supplemental questionnaire may be used throughout the examination process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications and acceptability for the position. Failure to complete and submit the questionnaire may result in your application being removed from consideration.
APPLICATION EVALUATION - qualifying:All applications will be reviewed to determine whether or not the stated requirements are met. Those individuals meeting the stated requirements will be invited to continue to the next step in the screening and selection process.
TRAININGand EXPERIENCE EVALUATION? 100%
A Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) is a structured evaluation of the job application materials submitted by a candidate, including the written responses to supplemental questions. The T&E is a method for determining the better qualified applicants among those shown to meet the stated requirements. Using a T&E, applicants may be scored or ranked according to criteria that most closely meet the business needs of the department. When the pool of candidates is exceptionally strong and large candidates are typically scored or ranked in relation to one another.
Candidates successfully completing the Training and Experience Evaluation process may be placed on an eligible list for a period of six (6) months.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill existing and future regular, temporary, fixed-term, intermittent, and extra-help positions within the County Executive Office ? Government Affairs, Water, and Energydivision only.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION:A thorough background investigation which may include inquiry into past employment, education,criminal background information and driving record.
For further information regarding this recruitment, please contact Jessica Ruiz by email at [email protected] phone (805) 654-2419.
This Summary is informational only, and cannot modify or affect your benefits in any way, nor shall you accrue any rights because of a statement or omission from this summary. Please refer to Plan Brochures and Management Resolution for details. These documents are available in your department.
Union Codes: MB3, MB4, MS, MT, MCC, MU
In compiling this list, please provide a brief description of the content of the course/program completed.
A. Local government and/or residential and commercial sustainability
B. Energy efficiency
C. Green building, or a related area.
1. The employer(s) on this application where you obtained the experience
2.Your Title and
3. A description of duties that demonstrate your responsibility and experience.
If you do not have this type of experience, type "none."
A. Names of employer(s) on this application where you gained the experience.
B. A description of your role, duties and type of program(s) you were responsible for and
C. An example of a specific program you worked on which reflects the quality of your experience.
If you do not have this type of experience, type, "none."
A) The employer(s) on this application where you obtained the experience
B) the type and size of audience and
C) the topics you have presented on.
If you do not have this type of work experience, type "none."
If you do not have this type of work experience, type "none."
C. PowerPoint and
as beginner, intermediate or advanced.
Provide examples of the most complex work you have performed using each of these applications.
* Required Question