For more information about living in Albuquerque, New Mexico, click here.
Perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, established procedures and template documents. Prepare Legal documents such as summonses, complaints, motions and subpoenas as well as correspondence. May also assist with legal research.Essential Functions
- Provides administrative services in support of an attorney or legal department.
- Prepares correspondence and legal papers such as summons, complaints, motions, responses and subpoenas under the general direction and guidance of an attorney.
- Transcribe and proofread legal documents.
- Performs clerical duties such as providing information to callers, taking dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, and reading and routing incoming mail.
- Process court notices and client discovery.
- Schedule meetings and appointments and coordinate conference calls.
- Conducts legal research for review by an attorney.
- May provide fiscal, management, information systems, human resources and other administrative tasks for a legal organization or an attorney.
- Files correspondence and legal documents in office filing system.
- Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents
- Prepare court dockets for distribution
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- Coordinates the pick-up and delivery of express mail services (FedEx, UPS, etc.)
- Assists in the ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office supplies.
- Assists with other related clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, filing and collating.
- Drop off or accept indigent defense applications (in a jail or correctional facility setting).
- May need to go to court for pick up for drop off of documents.
- Pick up discovery from District Attorney(s) office and police department(s).
- Provide referrals to community resources or other services.
- Reception desk coverage.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Performs related and other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED with one (1) year of directly related clerical and/or secretarial experience utilizing legal terminology, procedures and documents.Employment Requirements
Collective Bargaining: This position may be covered by a collective bargaining agreement and all terms/conditions of that agreement apply and must be adhered to.
Default FLSA: Non-exempt
The Law Offices of the Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis on race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political affiliation or religion, mental or physical disability, or serious medical condition.
This job advertisement may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
In addition to the benefits listed above, the Law Offices of The Public Defender offersa retirement plan and a medical program for retirees. For more information regarding theplan you can visit the following websites:
PLEASE NOTE: If the years of experience that you indicate below cannot be found in the Work Experience section of this application, your application may not be eligible for further consideration. It is recommended that you attach documents that support your work experience at this time. If you are attempting to attach documents, but are unable to, you should email [email protected], with the documents and your contact information. Or if selected for an interview, you should bring the documents to your interview.]
- 10 years of experience or more
- 9 years of experience
- 8 years of experience
- 7 years of experience
- 6 years of experience
- 5 years of experience
- 4 years of experience
- 3 years of experience
- 2 years of experience
- 1 year of Experience
- 6 Months
- 3 Months
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Associates Degree or Technical/Vocational Certificate
- High School Diploma or GED
- Less than a High School Diploma or GED
Do you have experience creating and maintaining court calendars for multiple attorneys which can change at a moment's notice?
Do you have experience preparing and processing legal documents, creating and maintaining legal calendars, ensuring court deadlines are met in a legal setting?
Do you have experience assisting disadvantaged populations such as people who suffer from mental illness; people who are homeless; people who are difficult and angry due to the legal situation they are in; and people in need of social service assistance?
Do you have experience working in a law office as a paralegal or legal secretary?
- I Understand
* Required Question