APPLY BEGINNING 8:00 AM FEBRUARY 15, 2019.THIS JOB OPPORTUNITY IS LIMITED TO THE FIRST 50 QUALIFIED APPLICANTS AND WILL CLOSE WHEN THE50THQUALIFIED APPLICATION IS RECEIVED.
The Department of Public Works has two immediate openings for Bureau Secretary in the Environmental Services Bureau and the Project Management Bureau. These positions report to the Bureau Manager and play a key role in support of a busy and vibrant organization. The Environmental Services Bureau (ESB) is responsible for waste reduction, refuse and recycling collection, street sweeping, litter abatement, parking enforcement, and recycling services. The ESB Bureau Secretary position works at the ESB facility located at 2929 E. Willow Street, Long Beach 90806. The Project Management Bureau (PMB) is responsible forthe management and delivery of improvements to Long Beach's parks, public facilities, tidelands areas, and public right-of-way. The PMB Bureau Secretary position is located at City Hall.Coming in June 2019, the Project Management Bureau Secretary will work in the brand new Civic Center building and plaza.
- Schedules and assists with preparation for meetings and appointments;
- Maintains calendars and address book for the Bureau and Bureau Manager;
- Creates and maintains flyers, desk manuals, Bureau files, and other materials;
- Prepares and manages correspondence, reports, and documents;
- Takes, types, and distributes minutes of meetings;
- Coordinates requests from the City Council, City Manager's Office, Director's Office, or other partners and clients;
- Acts as back up for transmittal of City Council letters and back up materials;
- Assists with job interview candidate document processing, may conduct reference checks;
- Represents the Bureau at various community functions;
- May supervise clerical personnel;
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- Three years of paid (full-time equivalent) progressively responsible experience providing direct administrative support to an executive or manager;
- A valid Class C Driver License.
- Exceptional verbal, written and customer service skills including the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Excellent planning, interpersonal, and time management skills;
- Flexible and adaptable with respect to changing priorities;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work well with all levels of City government, residents and businesses;
- Skilled in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and English language skills;
- Experienced in a wide range of software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and Outlook.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to the Department of Public Works, Personnel Division, at (562) 570-4686. If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in any phase of the application process, please request when submitting your application or contact the Personnel Division at (562) 570-4686.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ITS WORKFORCE.
Long Beach is a dynamic city covering over 52.3 square miles and featuring 8 miles of shoreline, beaches and scenic marinas.It is the 5th largest city in California and the 32nd largest city in the United States.Long Beach is also the most diverse community with a population of over 487,000 and offers its residents and visitors entertainment, shopping, fine dining, golf courses, cruise lines, historical and cultural districts and tourist attractions like the Aquarium of the Pacific, Farmer's Market, Toyota Grand Prix, Long Beach Museum of Art, Queen Mary, and the Pike at Rainbow Harbor.Long Beach Unified School District received the Broad Prize for the Best Urban School District.Long Beach is a city where you can live, work and play.
- Environmental Services Bureau
- Project Management Bureau
* Required Question