For more information about living in Albuquerque, New Mexico, click here.
Assist attorneys by researching legal precedent, investigating facts or preparing
legal documents. Conduct research to support a legal proceeding, to formulate a defense or to initiate legal action.
- Drafts and prepares legal correspondence for attorneys. Coordinates administrative support activities.
- Opens and manages cases through closure. Maintains up-to-date case management/tracking system.
- Keeps accurate files of correspondence and materials relating to cases.
- Conveys information to clients regarding the status of cases and the legal process.
- Schedules court hearings and appointments.
- Deals with the public, and serves as a contact between LOPD and all court staff, district attorneys and law enforcement personnel.
- Researches law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, constitutions, and legal codes to prepare case accordingly.
- Prepares dockets and prints necessary documents, such as summons, grand jury indictments, and supplemental criminal information.
- May draft legal instruments, motions, pleadings, appeals, docketing statements correspondence, release and agreements.
- Performs related and other duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Minimum Qualifications
High school diploma or GED and two (2) years of work experience drafting and
preparing legal correspondence, conducting legal research and maintaining a case
management/tracking system. Any combination of education from an accredited college or university in a related field and/or direct experience in this occupation totaling two (2) years may substitute for the required education and experience.
Collective Bargaining: This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement and all terms/conditions of that agreement apply and must be adhered to.
Default FLSA: Non-exempt
The Law Offices of the Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis on race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political affiliation or religion, mental or physical disability, or serious medical condition.
This job advertisement may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
In addition to the benefits listed above, the Law Offices of The Public Defender offersa retirement plan and a medical program for retirees. For more information regarding theplan you can visit the following websites:
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Associates Degree or Technical/Vocational Certificate
- High School Diploma or GED
- Less than a High School Diploma or GED
PLEASE NOTE: If the years of experience that you indicate below cannot be found in the Work Experience section of this application, your application may not be eligible for further consideration. It is recommended that you attach documents that support your work experience at this time. If you are attempting to attach documents, but are unable to, you should email [email protected], with the documents and your contact information. Or if selected for an interview, you should bring the documents to your interview.]
- 10 years of experience or more
- 9 years of experience
- 8 years of experience
- 7 years of experience
- 6 years of experience
- 5 years of experience
- 4 years of experience
- 3 years of experience
- 2 years of experience
- 1 year of Experience
- 6 Months
- 3 Months
Please indicate the number of years of experience you have preparing legal documents and putting together legal files for attorneys in preparation for court?
- Six (6) or More Years of Experience
- Four (4) to Six (6) Years of Experience
- One (1) to Three (3) Years of Experience
- Less than one (1) Year of Experience
Do you have experience working with the correspondence and legal papers such Management System database?
Do you have experience preparing and processing legal documents, creating and maintaining legal calendars, ensuring court deadlines are met in a legal setting?
Do you have experience working in a law office as a paralegal or legal secretary?
- I Understand
* Required Question