- Responds to requests for information from the general public, other internal departments, and employees; researches and resolves discrepancies with information.
- Performs various clerical duties, utilizing standard office equipment, to include: screening incoming calls; taking and transmitting messages; distributing mail; making photocopies; typing; and, word processing.
- Prepares routine documents and information by typing, performing data entry or word processing; compiles data for routine reports.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes a variety of correspondence, records, and information to appropriate personnel and the general public.
- Processes a variety of forms and paperwork, using established procedures; receives monies from customers; prepares and disseminates receipts to appropriate individuals; prepares related bank deposits.
- Files documents alphabetically, numerically, or by other prescribed method; maintains departmental records; coordinates records retention activities for assigned department.
- Prepares meeting agendas; assembles agenda packets; attends meetings and takes minutes; distributes meeting minutes to appropriate individuals.
- Proofreads, edits, and updates a variety of documents.
- Monitors and maintains office inventory and supply levels.
- Performs other duties of similar nature or level as required.
Certification of Typing/Keyboarding speed of 45 net words per minute.
** APPLICANTS MUST ATTACHa copy of their keyboard certificate, issued within the last two years, verifying a speed offorty-five (45) net words per minute to their application or the application may not be accepted. Certificates must conform to the testing standards adopted by the Civil Service Commission. Go to the Human Resources Division's website at http://www.co.kern.ca.us/artman2/main/uploads/1/typing-certs.pdffor information about where to obtain a certificate.
If you are unable to attach the certificate to your application, you may submit your certificate to the Human Resources Division at 1115TruxtunAve. First Floor, Bakersfield, CA 93301.
Some Positions May Require:
- Possession of a Valid California Driver's License.
- Certification of Transcription speed of 45 net words per minute
- Proficiency in the use of word processing software, such as Microsoft Word or Word Perfect.
Knowledge of: inventory maintenance principles; customer service principles; standard office procedures, methods, and equipment; basic filing and recordkeeping principles; basic mathematical concepts; English language, grammar, and punctuation.
Skill in: preparing a variety of reports; prioritizing work; performing multiple tasks simultaneously; entering information into a database; maintaining various records and files; preparing meeting agendas and minutes; using computers and related software applications; performing mathematical calculations; processing forms using established guidelines; providing customer service; filing; keyboarding; using standard office equipment; and, communicating both orally and in writing sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction. Supplemental
A background check may be conducted for this classification
Following an offer of employment, you may be required to submit to post offer medical and drug screening tests at County expense.
Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates are encouraged to apply. Applicants who wish to be considered for bilingual employment must attach a copy of their Bilingual Certificatepreviously issued by the Kern County Personnel Department or currently by Bakersfield College. Employees who occupy positions designated as bilingual are paid dependent upon their required level of proficiency. For information regarding bilingual (English/Spanish) certificates, go to the Human Resources Division's website athttp://www.co.kern.ca.us/artman2/main/uploads/1/bc-bilingual-certs.pdf .
This examination will establish an eligible list from which permanent and temporary appointments will be made as needed. Successful candidates will remain on the eligible list for a period of twelve-months unless specified otherwise by the Civil Service Commission. Candidates are encouraged to indicate ALL geographical locations in which they would accept employment on their application form. Candidates MUST be willing to travel to these locations (area/district offices).
Admittance to each phase of the examination will require a Government issued photograph identification. Applicants who are unable to present proper identification must make arrangements with theHumanResources Divisionprior to the test date.
Applicants must attain at least a 70% score on each phase of the examination process.
This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time without notice. Please ensure ALL applicable certificates are attached to your application. If you are unable to attach the certificates to your application, you may submit your certificates to the Human Resources Division at 1115 Truxtun Ave. First Floor, Bakersfield, CA 93301.
* Required Question