Are you looking for a part-time job providing excellent customer service to library patrons? The Prince William Public Library System is looking for a part-time Library Assistant. This entry-level, dual-role position not only assists patrons at the circulation desk, but also shelves materials to make them available to our patrons.
A Library Assistance provides exemplary customer service to our patrons by checking books in and out, responding to policy questions, issuing library cards, engaging in various clerical duties, answering the phones and directing to the proper contact. In addition to duties on the circulation desk, the library assistant also shelves books and materials, assists in training other Library Assistants, Pages and volunteers
The position is physical in nature. It requires lifting and bending/stooping for long periods of time. The position also requires moving library materials up to 20 lbs. from bins to book carts and moving carts of books to designated locations.
This position is located at the Bull Run Regional Library in Manassas. VA.
PREFERENCES: The successful candidate will possess demonstrated customer services and cash handling skills. The successful candidate will have a strong grasp of the Dewey Decimal system and general filing requirements.
SCHEDULE: This is a part time position working 20 hours per week. Scheduling flexibility is imperative. Schedule includes a day, an evening and weekends. Schedule may vary depending on the needs of the library.
Hourly Rate: $15.33General Definition of Work, Typical tasks, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The statements in this class specification are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs routine clerical and customer service work in support of library public services or performs routine clerical work in support of processing and maintenance of library materials.
Work is performed under immediate supervision of a Librarian, Library Services Supervisor, or authorized designee.
The Library Assistant is designed as the "training" level for the development of skills that would allow for continued competitive advancement within the Library Services Technician series. The Library Assistant differs from the Library Page in that the work of the Page is basic and is designed to provide an introduction to public library organization and procedures.
The Library Assistant in Public Services performs routine clerical and customer service work in support of public library services such as circulation desk responsibilities, processing incoming materials, and assisting patrons with straightforward questions.
The Library Assistant in Material Services performs routine clerical work in support of processing and preparing materials for distribution throughout the library system.
Public Services Positions:
Shelves books and materials in proper order
Performs shelf reading to ensure order of materials
Processes incoming materials and removes outdated materials, including periodicals
Performs check-in and check-out of materials at the circulation desk
Answers telephone and provides general information or directs calls to proper contact person
Sorts, checks in, and distributes U. S. and courier mail for the section
Transports and redistributes large quantities of books
Operates and troubleshoots copier and fax equipment
Performs clerical tasks involving keyboarding, simple arithmetic, alphabetizing and filing
Assists patrons in use of the library catalog, public computers, copy machines, fax, etc.
Processes patron financial fees for library materials, fine, and printing
Assists with serving the public at the circulation and information desks
May assist with opening and closing procedures as needed
Assists in training other Library Assistants, Library Pages and volunteers
Maintains stock of various supplies for machines and services desk
Materials Services Positions:
Processes all formats of library materials according to the Physical Processing manual
Processes library materials borrowed through interlibrary loan and processes requests for materials from other libraries
Check-in all new and returned materials
Processes patron financial fees for interlibrary loan
Maintains accurate records in the database
Maintains materials and supplies for processing library materials
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of number-sequencing and alphabetizing; ability to perform basic tasks involving keyboarding, simple arithmetic and filing; ability to use standard office equipment, including copier, fax, and computer; physical ability to lift and carry materials weighing 20 lbs.; ability to bend, stoop, stand and sit for long periods of time; and to push book carts weighing 50lbs. or more; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability and willingness to develop an understanding of the Library's organization and procedures; ability to learn the Dewey Decimal System and other classification systems; ability to work in a team atmosphere and adhere to routines and schedules; ability to compare names and numbers accurately; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to interact with library customers and provide basic customer service; skill at reading and writing English at the minimum of 8th grade level.Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and 1-2 years of clerical/administrative and customer service work experience or 1-2 years experience volunteering/working in a library, bookstore or other library-related environment.
The followingappointment types accrue no leave and are not eligible for holidays or other fringe benefits:
Part-Time Non-Benefit Eligible (work less than 15 hours a week)
Prince William County Benefits Programs
- I have read, understand, and acknowledge the above statement
- I decline to proceed any further in this process.
- Completion of 11th Grade
- High School or Equivalent
- Some College (Equivalent to 30 Semester Hours)
- Associate's Degree or higher
- None of the Above
- Four or more years
- Three years
- Two years
- One year
- Less than one year
- 3 or more years
- 2 years
- One year
- Less than 1 year
- Processing large numbers of records quickly and efficiently while still providing excellent customer service
- Answering basic/routine questions about rules and regulations in a courteous and timely manner
- Providing directional instructions to customers for locating merchandise/materials
- Assisted with the training of peers
- Maintaining the appearance of public areas
- None of the above
- Shelving fiction books for adults
- Shelving fiction books for children
- Shelving books using the Dewey Decimal system
- Reviewing material to make sure it is in the proper order
- Filing large quantities of paperwork quickly and efficiently
- None of the above
- Public Library
- School Library
- Book Store
- Retail (other than book store)
- None of the above
- Using a cash register to collect payments and issue receipts.
- Experience receiving money and providing change using a cash box (no register)
- Reconciliation of cash / cash receipts.
- No cash handling experience
- No cash register experience.
- Daily contact with the public
- Working with customer transactions face to face
- Working with customers over the phone
- Resolving customer issues or complaints
- Providing written response to customer inquiries
- Public desk customer service
- Explaining policy and procedures
- No/limited experience in customer service
- I am a current Prince William County Library Volunteer
- I am a current Prince William County Library On-Call Staff
- I am not a current Prince William County Library Volunteer or On-Call Staff
* Required Question