ATTACH COVER LETTER AND RESUME
Under direct supervision performs technical clerical and legal secretarial work composing and typing legal documents and correspondence; clerical support for attorneys and staff; use of computerized information systems; and various other related work as requiredDefinition/Summary of Duties
- Serves as a liaison between district support and attorney staff; other public defender districts' staff; law enforcement agencies, and county and state agencies.
- Prepare and handle materials (file folders; books, documents, mail; case records; etc.) for filing, storage, shelving, distribution or destruction; maintain supplies and inventory.
- Enter case information into GIDEON.
- Prepare various legal documents from oral instruction or following standard procedures;
- Input, retrieve and modify information and data stored in computerized systems; assist other users with problems associated with computerized systems and programs.
- Screen, relay and respond to a broad range of requests for information; explain a variety of requirements, policies and procedures regarding services to public and other staff.
- Act as receptionist answering incoming calls, take messages and greet visitors;
- Perform other duties as required.
The work assigned to a position allocated to this class may not include all of the job functions or knowledge, abilities, skills and physical requirements indicated nor does the class specification include all work that may be assigned or restrict the emphasis of the work assigned.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of business English, spelling and grammar. Knowledge of general office procedures. Knowledge of legal terminology. Knowledge of the operation of word processing equipment, Dictaphone, calculator. Skill at typing 55 wpm. Ability to set priorities and meet work deadlines. Ability to use discretion in the handling of confidential information. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with attorneys, other employees and clients. Ability to understand written and oral instructions.Education and Experience
Completion of High School or equivalency, plus completion of an approved business school program as a secretary or two years of general office work experience which includes 1 year of secretarial experience in a legal environment or equivalent.
The State of Minnesota offers benefits through the State Employee Group Insurance Program (SEGIP). Benefits-eligible employees are entitled to the following insurance and pre-tax benefits:
Full time employee and part time employee benefits:
Single coverage as low as $32.48 a month
Family coverage $221.62 a month
Single coverage as low as $13.50 a month
Family coverage $52.52 a month
Basic Life insurance
6 week paid Parental Leave (eligible after 1 year of employment)
11 paid holidays
Vacation and sick time along with leave of absence programs
Employee Assistance Program
Additional Life insurance for yourself, spouse and children
Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
Short and long-term disability insurance
Deferred Compensation plan
Pre-tax expense accounts: dependent care account, medical and dental, transit expense
* Required Question