This position of IMMIGRATION SERVICES OFFICER starts at a salary of $33,605.00 GS-05 grade level, step 01, to $66,194.00 GS-09 grade level, step 10 with promotion potential GS-09 grade level.
Learn more about this agency
- The responsibilities described are for the full performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
- Research and interpret an extensive spectrum of sources, including immigration laws and regulations, operating instructions, legislative history, precedent decisions, and other legal references in order to follow the correct course of action.
- Process immigration applications and petitions using available electronic systems to verify numerous established data points.
- Provide direct and continuing assistance to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) personnel and officials of other Federal agencies, in identifying individuals who pose a threat to national security and public safety.
- Interview applicants and petitioners to elicit statements in order to assess credibility to determine the applicant?s eligibility for specific benefits sought.
- Answer general and case-specific immigration questions at USCIS information rooms, which are open to the public.
- As an Immigration Services Officer, you may serve as the Congressional Liaison Officer. You will:
- Draft, review, revise and issue written and oral responses to congressional inquiries within prescribed time frames.
- Develop and maintain liaison with Congressional staff on a variety of immigration-related issues.
- Interpret and apply technical guidelines and provide advisory services to Congressional staff on specific cases or policy matters.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.