The purpose of this position is to ensure the accurate dissemination of incoming and outgoing mail for prisoners and staff. Efficiency and accuracy are essential because daily mail delivery to the prisoners is extremely important to their well-being. Decision making regarding prisoner mail must be based on current policies and procedures, including the rejection of items being sent to prisoners. Screening incoming prisoner mail for contraband and inappropriate materials is important because errors could jeopardize the security of the facility. The mailroom services St. Louis Correctional Facility and Central Michigan Correctional Facility. Mailroom employees are expected to provide assistance to each other whenever needed, to ensure the timeliness of all mailroom functions.
Position Description: http://civilservice.state.mi.us/AgencyPDFs/GOA-MR.doc
Educational level typically acquired through completion of high school.
General Office Assistant 5
No specific type or amount of experience is required.
General Office Assistant 6
One year of administrative support experience.
General Office Assistant E7
Two years of administrative support experience, including one year equivalent to the intermediate level.
Certain positions may require a criminal history background check.
View the job specification at: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/GeneralOfficeAssistant_12692_7.pdf
Full time employees receive between 15 and 35 vacation leave days per year. Employees also receive 13 sick days per year, and employees receive 8 hours of leave to participate in certain school functions or community activities. Employees may also qualify for up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for certain family or medical situations.
State employees receive 12 scheduled holidays each year, which include New Years Eve Day and New Years Day, Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans Day just to name a few.
Alternative Work Schedules
Flexible work schedules and telecommuting options are available in many jobs.
Insurance and Other Benefits
Insurances include health, vision, dental and life. Employees also have the option to purchase additional life, accidental death, long term disability, long term care insurance, and legal services. Flexible spending accounts for medical expenses and child care are also available.
Employees may invest income in a tax-deferred retirement investment program. The state offers two optional deferred compensation plans, the 457 and 401(k). Employees decide the amount you want deducted from your paycheck.
Employees receive a minimum 4% state contribution toward their retirement fund. If an employee elects to contribute more, the state will match that percentage (up to 3%). ORS administers two different retirement plans for State of Michigan employees: a Defined Benefit (DB) plan and a Defined Contribution (DC) plan. Use thefollowing link for detailed information:
Two plans for State Employees
- One to two years of administrative support experience.
- Two to three years of administrative support experience, including one year equivalent to the intermediate level.
- At least three years of administrative support experience, including two years equivalent to the intermediate level or one year equivalent to the experienced level.
- Central Office
- FOA Metropolitan Territory
- FOA Outstate Territory
- Kinross Administrative Offices
- Ionia Administrative Offices
- Jackson Administrative Offices
- Alger Correctional Facility
- Baraga Correctional Facility
- Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility
- Carson City Correctional Facility
- Central Michigan Correctional Facility
- Charles E. Egeler Reception and Guidance Center
- Chippewa Correctional Facility
- Cooper Street Correctional Facility
- Detroit Detention Center
- Detroit Reentry Center
- Earnest C. Brooks Correctional Facility
- G. Robert Cotton Correctional Facility
- Gus Harrison Correctional Facility
- Ionia Correctional Facility
- Kinross Correctional Facility
- Lakeland Correctional Facility
- Macomb Correctional Facility
- Marquette Branch Prison
- Michigan Reformatory
- Muskegon Correctional Facility
- Newberry Correctional Facility
- Oaks Correctional Facility
- Ojibway Correctional Facility
- Parnall Correctional Facility
- Pugsley Correctional Facility
- Richard A. Handlon Correctional Facility
- Saginaw Correctional Facility
- Special Alternative Incarceration Facility
- St. Louis Correctional Facility
- Thumb Correctional Facility
- Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility
- Woodland Correctional Facility
* Required Question