Hiring rangefor this position is $34,507.20 - $39,312.00.Initial placement for new employees is customarily at entry level through 25% percentile. Pay grade for this position is 12.
*Applicantsmustbebilingual in English and Spanish to where they are able to speak, read, and write both languages with the same degree of fluency?*
General Definition of Work:
Performs intermediate paraprofessional work providing interpreting and translating services for Spanish speaking clients in a human services setting in accordance with guidelines established by the County. Work is performed under regular supervision.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
Interpreting and translating for clients (with varying dialect and educational levels) involving a variety of situations, information, and programs such as financial, educational, medical, legal, and employment working with caseworkers, child support agents, and social workers; receiving telephone calls from Spanish speaking clients, scheduling appointments, interpreting questions from client to worker and relays answers back to client; translates written materials including forms, correspondence, posters, flyers, and department website information from English to Spanish and vice versa; maintaining logs, reports, and confidentiality.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
* Performs Spanish interpreter and translation services to clients and staff for human services programs in office and on home visits ensuring information is communicated accurately and efficiently.
* Interprets and translates in accordance with the National Council for Interpreters in Health Care Ethical Code.
* Responsible for ensuring families understand eligibility guidelines by interpreting and translating the program policies and guidelines appropriately.
* Participate as a neutral party in the role as conduit of information that flows between staff, patients and their families.
* Travels/drives to client homes accompanying social workers on home visits to provide interpreting services.
* Performs limited clerical duties such as typing translated documents.
* Participates in ongoing training as required.
* Performs related tasks as required to potentially include but not limited to emergency shelter operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of and skill in expressive interpreting and translating methods and reverse interpreting and translating, the idiom and dialect variances of the language, and cultures. Knowledge of the ethics of interpreting and of community agencies which serve Latino/Hispanic community. General knowledge of agency and community programs and services. Skill to use a variety of office machines, computers, applicable software and typing. Acute skills in observation and listening. Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; to communicate effectively orally and in writing with persons of varied social, economic, cultural and educational backgrounds; to assess the communication (orally and written) skill level of the client in his/her own language; to accurately convey the true meaning as a neutral person; to maintain composure, keeping emotions in check, even in difficult situations; to attend work regularly; to maintain confidentiality; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Completion of a professional interpreter training is preferred.
Education and Experience:
Requires a high school diploma or GED equivalency and one year of experience in interpreting and translating English and the required foreign language in a setting that requires knowledge of the programs or services. Experience with translating and interpreting human services/social services programs and services preferred. Demonstrates the fluency and skill necessary to meet the needs of the organization and client populations served.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires stooping, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to contact with irate clients and/or family members; homes that may be poorly maintained or unsafe living conditions; travel in unsafe areas where the threat
of violence is real or insolated areas where access to emergency services may be difficult; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina. Position may occasionally require working before/after normal business hours to meet the needs of families/clients. Position often requires after hours work. Position requires on-call duty rotation to provide interpreter services. Completion of a professional interpreter training is preferred.Supplemental Information
Supplemental and Contact Information
Cabarrus Countyselects applicants for employment based on job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or political influence.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. Transcripts, degree evaluations and cover letters may be uploaded with your application. Applicants who obtained their education outside of the United States and its territories are expected to assume responsibility for having their academic degrees validated as equivalent to a degree conferred by a regionally accredited college or university in the United States.
Please be sure to complete the application in full.Resumes may be uploaded with your application, but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application and will not be considered for qualifying credit. "See Resume" or "See Attachment" will NOT be accepted.
If multiple applications are submitted to an individual position, only the most recent application received prior to the posting closing date will be accepted.Applications must be submitted by11:59 PM on the closing date.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone.To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. Processing applications will take an average of 6 ? 8 weeks due to the high volume of applications received. It is not necessary to contact the Human Resources Office to check the status of an application. Upon the closing date, applications are "Under Review" and will be screened by Human Resources for the most qualified applicants.
For technical issues with your applications, please call the NEOGOV Help Line at855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 704-920-2200.
- Earned vacation & sick leave
- 11-12 paid holidays per year
- Participation in the Local Government Employees Retirement System
- Mandatory 6% employee contribution
- 5% employer-paid contribution to NC401K, with no employee match required
- Employees have the option to contribute additional monies to the NC401K plan or to a 457 retirement savings plan
- Health Insurance plans
- Consumer driven plan including a health savings account
- Optional dependent coverage ? employee/spouse, employee/children, & employee/family
- Comprehensive health & wellness program
- On-site exercise equipment & programs
- Health & wellness themed instructional classes
- Employee health clinic
- Employee assistance program (ex. Individual & family counseling, legal & financial services, child & elder care location assistance, etc.)
- Choice of optional dental plans
- PPO (Preferred Provider Option) or non-PPO
- Optional dependent coverage ? employee/spouse, employee/children, & employee/family
- Vision Plan
- Includes an annual routine eye exam for individuals on the health insurance plan.
- Optional eyewear plan available
- $20,000 of term life insurance & accidental death & dismemberment coverage with employer-paid premiums
- Employee option for up to $50,000 of additional term life coverage
- Optional dependent life insurance coverage for spouses & children
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
* Required Question