Performs responsible skilled clerical and technical work in the Office of the Circuit Court.Is deputized and administers oaths and conducts routine transactions on behalf of or in lieu of the Clerk of the Circuit Court.Attends court hearings, swears witnesses, and identifies and tracks physical evidence.May be trained to operate microfilming equipment which meets state standards for storage and management of vital records.Performs other duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Issues various licenses to the public by entering prescribed information on application forms, receiving and recording fee payments, issuing receipts, administering oaths when required, and completing licenses by stamping or machine printing information on standard forms.
- Prepares a variety of legal instruments such as judgments, financing statements, subpoenas, fieri facias, and capias, on standard forms which require the insertion of names, action to be taken, and other required information.
- Calculates taxes and fees, using appropriate schedules, for various legal transactions.
- Qualifies public officials and notaries public by ascertaining that required documents are in order and administering the appropriate oath.
- Indexes legal documents such as deeds, wills, and licenses into the computerized system.
NON ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates microfilm equipment to produce film of various documents, may also process, duplicate and splice film.
- Thorough knowledge of standard office terminology, procedures and techniques.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment including a personal computer and other information processing equipment, a computerized cash register, and video recording equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with the public and other employees
- Ability to perform basic arithmetical computations
- Ability to read and understand legal documents
- Ability to follow oral or written instructions; learn various functions and operations of the Circuit Court; and to maintain the confidentiality of information handled within the office.
Part-time employees are not eligible for employee benefits.
Full-time employees are eligible fora comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
- Eleven paid holidays
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
- Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match