Are you looking for variety and diversity in your work? This position offers just that! As the Civil Engineering Specialist, Assistant you will join a team that works on all of the Construction Management Division's capital projects. You will administer projects ranging in size from emergency repairs of sewer, water and storm drains to large water reservoirs, creek rehabilitation, major combined sewer overflows and transfer stations. These projects are located all across the greater Seattle region. If this sounds interesting to you, the Office Engineering Section invites you to join them and continue delivering the most efficient and highest quality projects for our clients.
The Civil Engineering Specialist, Assistant position receives all contractually required submittals from the Contractor and guides them through the City's review and approval process. This position works closely with contractors, consultants and city staff to ensure all documentation is completed consistently with contract specifications and is properly retained for future use.
About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility working to make Seattle the best place to live for everyone. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.4 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
SPU commits to Our City Values, Workplace Expectations, and Racial Equity and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We support and hold ourselves accountable by eliminating barriers to access, and providing employees with equitable opportunities for professional growth and advancement.Job Responsibilities
Performs as the Submittals Lead for the Division (approximately 60% of job):
- Process contractor submittals including: catalog cuts, shop drawings, mix designs, source forms, plans, subcontractor approvals, change orders, etc.
- Attend pre-construction and required progress meetings
- Resolve Contractor, Designer and Engineer questions
- Troubleshoot submittal issues and respond to public disclosure requests
- Read and accurately interpret construction specifications
- Setup paper and electronic files for document management
- Closeout projects and archive according to retention schdule requirements
Assist Unifier System Administrator (approximately 30% of job):
- Set up new projects in Unifier; Notify users (CAPO, Emergency, CIP)
- Assign/Setup proxy users
- Draft updates and modify User Guides/Instructions
- Load tasks in specific roles for new user training
Assist with Monthly Contractor Payments (approximately 10% of job):
- Assist with auditing payment documentation for accuracy and completeness
- Assist with processing monthly and final payments to contractors
- Measure and calculate monthly construction pay quantities
- Calculate force account costs, research labor and equipment rental rates
- File and distribute contractual documentation
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Qualifications
- Requires an Associate Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or two years of college level coursework in engineering and construction technology (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment
- Field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances and work in or near construction sites
- May be required to lift over 25 pounds
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time
- Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Experience using databases and data entry
- Proficiency using MS Office (especially Excel; Word and Outlook)
- Ability to adapt to changes and multi-task in a fast paced environment with strict deadlines
- Willingness and desire to learn new tasks and improve efficiency
- Familiarity with Public Works in one of the following areas: water, sewer/drainage, solid waste, stream or creek restoration, and/or low impact development projects
- Familiarity with Accounting, Auditing and Records Management principals
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base
- A cover letter describing your qualifications for this position as they specifically relate to the 'Education/Experience' section as posted will be required of all applicants. Any application without a cover letter will be disqualified.
At Seattle Public Utilities, our job is to protect the area's quality of life. We pledge to meet community and environmental needs by:
- Maintaining some of the nation's best drinking water
- Preventing sewer backups, flooding, and landslides
- Helping Seattle residents and businesses be recycling leaders
- Protecting local waterways and the Sound from sewage overflows and polluted stormwater runoff.
We do this while always keeping in mind that we need to spend customers' money wisely.
We are also making sure that as Seattle grows, it's even better for future generations. A place where:
- Less garbage is shipped to the landfill
- The drinking water is protected
- Utility infrastructure is well-built and maintained
- And where salmon thrive in healthy waterways.
Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation, and the environment.
As an employer, the City of Seattle is a leading local government in environmental stewardship, green building and social justice, making our City what it is today and shaping our future. Our employees play an important role in making this possible.
Learn more aboutSeattle Public Utilitiesatour web page www.seattle.gov/util/.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
- I currently possess a WA State Driver License
- Driver License from another jurisdiction (State, Country, Province, etc.)
- I do not possess a Driver License
* Required Question