The Seattle Office for Civil Rights (SOCR) envisions a city of liberated people where communities historically impacted by racism, oppression, and colonization hold power and thrive. SOCR's mission is to end structural racism and discrimination through accountable community relationships and anti-racism organizing, policy development, and civil rights enforcement. The SOCR advances civil rights and removes barriers to equity by enforcing illegal discrimination laws in Employment, Housing, Public Places, Fair Contracting, Title VI and ADA Title II in the City of Seattle. We also work to realize the vision of racial equity by leading the City of Seattle's Race and Social Justice Initiative.
The Office for Civil Rights has a team of more than 30 city employees who work for equal rights and social justice in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. The Administrative Specialist II is part of the Administration team, which is a vital component to the successful operations of the office and team. this role will serve as the office receptionist, front desk coordinator and will provide professional administrative support to the office. This role will report to the Enforcement Manager on customer service delivery and Operations Manager on office and operations functions.Job Responsibilities
Here's more of what you'll be doing:
Office Reception and Customer Service Responsibilities:
- Serve as the initial point of contact to our internal and external customers, and provide quality service in person, by email, and on the phone in an efficient and professional manner, even when dealing with difficult and demanding situations.
- Have and retain working knowledge of the civil rights laws the office enforces, protected classes and jurisdictions to effectively screen customer complaints and refer appropriately.
- Receive, track and route incoming case documents to appropriate staff.
- Track settlement checks using the settlement check log and distribute checks to charging parties pursuant to the terms of the settlement agreement.
- Monitor and respond to the Anti-Bias Hotline, the Customer Service Feedback email account, and web inquiries by providing information, routing inquiries to appropriate staff, and referring to the appropriate individual, department or agency.
- Manage front desk tasks such as: receive, process and distribute mail, process fax correspondence, monitor and respond to office voicemail, and other clerical tasks as assigned.
Front Desk Operations and General Office Support:
- Maintain office equipment: fax machine, printers, copiers, shared laptops, projectors, clocks, tech kits and other shared office devices, including troubleshooting and resolving issues.
- Maintain and replenish office and kitchen supplies, equipment and manage surplus inventory.
- Serve as the office telephone coordinator, work with Seattle IT to coordinate computer replacements, and assist staff with IT service requests.
- Maintain various office spreadsheets, including assigning travel numbers, updating the invoice spreadsheet.
- Serve as the building management point of contact for the office.
- Assist divisions with scheduling and coordinating logistics for meetings, trainings, and special events.
- Compose routine correspondence and create and maintain computerized and manual files.
- Perform other related administrative duties as assigned.
You will be successful in this role if you have experience in:
- Office administrative/clerical tasks in a customer service-oriented role.
- Handling multiple tasks efficiently with often competing priorities.
- Working independently under minimal supervision.
- Working comfortably in a team environment.
You will be prepared to take on this role if you have:
- Solid knowledge in general office practices and procedures.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to be punctual, reliable and self-directed.
- Exemplary customer service skills with the ability to communicate and interact with demanding customers and to effectively manage stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality while working with a diverse customer base.
- Top notch written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment in decision making.
- Proficiency in MS Outlook, Office, and Excel.
- Working knowledge of office equipment and multi-line phones.
- Proactive problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge or, or interest in, the City of Seattle's Race and Social Justice Skills.
- Speaking proficiency or fluency in two or more languages is desired.
- 2 years of clerical support experience
This position is classified as an Administrative Specialist II ? BU and is governed by a collective bargaining agreement between the City and the union, Local 17 ? Admin Support.
To be considered for this position, please submit your complete application, including all supplemental questions, and attach your resume and a cover letter at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle no later than 4:00 PM Pacific Time on Tuesday, March 26, 2019. This position is open to all applicants that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, medical condition or pregnancy. The Seattle Office for Civil Rights encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. If you have questions, please contact Nicolette Hornbeck at [email protected].
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: http://www.seattle.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
- Less than a year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 or more years of experience
* Required Question