The Finance Department is hiring an Accounting Assistant that will provide support to the Accounts Payable division. The ideal candidate is a team player that has effective communication and organizational skills. Candidate should have experience processing accounts payable transactions, journal entries, account reconciliations and general knowledge of accounting functions. A background in bookkeeping, accounting and general reconciliation in governmental accounting is highly desired. Experience with Tyler Eden, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word software systems is also desired.
Under direct supervision, performs a variety of clerical functions including financial and statistical transactions. May assist the public at the cashier counter or over the phone.
The Accounting Assistant is the Entry level classification in the Accounting Support series.The employee performs a variety of accounting support functions related to accounts payable, accounts receivable and cashiering.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from the Director of Finance or his/her designee.
No supervision is exercised.Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists customers at the counter and on the telephone, answering inquiries, providing information, and explaining City and department policies and procedures.
- May serve as backup to Cashier or Business License Assistant.
- Verifies invoices, purchase orders, checks, deposit slips, cash payments and other records for arithmetical accuracy and consistency; checks for proper account coding and record keeping practices; resolves discrepancies within established procedures; maintains files and records of payment.
- Inputs and retrieves data in City's computerized accounting system, and posts, adjusts, balances, and reconciles cash receipts and accounting records.
- Prepares and processes various bills and invoices; prepares bank deposits; prepares a variety of statements and reports.
- Assists with maintaining City Business License system data; processes new business license applications, delinquent licenses, and license renewals in accordance with established procedures; issues business license certificates; advises proprietors and answer inquiries and concerns regarding business license requirements; reviews applications for completion, accuracy, and compliance with City guidelines.
- Assists with sorting and distributing departmental mail.
- Provides assistance to the public, City staff and other government agencies.
- Performs back-up assistance in sections of the Finance Department.
- Prepares and writes a variety of reports and documentation, including detailed Risk Management incident reports.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or equivalent; and one (1) year of work experience and demonstrated knowledge of technical or clerical accounting, bookkeeping or purchasing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Basic administrative, accounting and financial record.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Occupational hazards and safety measures appropriate to work performed.
- Operate various types of standard office equipment, including a personal computer and related software.
- Operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner.
- Utilize automated accounting systems and input complex codes.
- Plan and organize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and precise records and reports.
- Establish and maintain courteous, cooperative, and effective working relationships with those encountered in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Use proper English, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations with accuracy and speed.
- Serve as emergency services worker in the event of an emergency.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid California Class C driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Satisfactory results from a background investigation, physical examination and administrative screening.
- Credit check.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and sit; talk or hear both in person and by telephone; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate equipment needed to carry out duties of the position; and reach with hands and arms.The employee frequently stands or walks, and lifts and moves records and documents or objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone, and up to 100 pounds with assistance.Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data; use math and mathematical reasoning; analyze and solve problems; learn and apply new information; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks; meet intensive and changing deadlines and interact with City staff, customers, vendors, contractors, and the public.
The employee typically works in office conditions; the noise level is frequently quiet or moderately quiet, at or below 50 decibels.
This recruitment will establish an eligibility list which may be used to fill future vacancies in the same classification.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are a CalPERS annuitant, please be advised that this position does not meet the statutory criteria for post-retirement employment because the incumbent will be performing regular staff duties for an undetermined duration. Employment in this capacity would require you to rescind your retirement and reinstate as a current member of CalPERS.
Flexibly Staffed: No
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Conflict of Interest: Not Required
Bonding Required: No
Benefits for Project Employees
Employees who are hired in a temporary or "project" position do not receive benefits other than those mandated by state and federal law. These benefits include paid sick leave(PSL)as well asparticipation in Medicare, Worker's Compensation,OBRAand/orCalPERSRetirement System.
In accordance with the Healthy Workplace, Healthy Family Act of 2014 (AB 1522), all non-regular, temporary and seasonal employees will receive 24 hours of paid sick leave (PSL) upon hire. PSL will be available for use beginning on each employee's90thday of employment. Thereafter, in each pay period that includes July 1, employees will receive a new 24-hour lump sum of PSL. Any unused PSLhours will not carry over.
- No Experience
- 1 - 2 Years
- 3 or more Years
- No Experience
- 1 - 2 Years
- 3 - 4 Years
- More than 4 Years
- Tyler Eden
- Tyler Munis
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- No experience with the listed software
- 1. (very little to no experience working in a high paced environment)
- 2. (some experience in a high paced environment working on multiple tasks)
- 3. (experienced working on multiple projects/tasks and prioritizing deadlines)
- 4. (highly experienced in handling multiple tasks that come up daily while maintaining project schedules and meeting deadlines)
* Required Question